Emerging Doctrines of Jurisdiction and Their Impact on Automotive Product Liability Litigation: The Aftermath Bristol- Myers Squibb and BNSF Railway
What is it about?
Last spring, the Supreme Court issued a pair of decisions which addressed the principles of jurisdiction. This panel will examine and consider the consequences of these landmark decisions. Points of discussion will include:
- Reviewing the Supreme Court’s decisions in Daimler and Goodyear, and more recently BMS and BNSF and their collective impact on personal jurisdiction claims
- Establishing jurisdiction and venue in consideration of where the event occurred/exposure took place and where defendant is located
- Examining the Federal Circuit’s recent rulings on District Court interpretations on these Supreme Court cases
- Determining venue and personal jurisdiction challenges when one party claims there were multiple exposure sites
- Understanding the recent flurry of plaintiffs re-filing actions in anticipation of cases being dismissed for failure to establish venue or personal jurisdiction