The Basics of Captives and Risk Retention Groups
Davis H. Smith
Gilpin Givhan, PC
Innovative Captive Strategies, Inc.
Advantage Insurance Management (USA) LLC
Keith Langlands CPA
Synergy Insurance LLC
John R. Capasso
President & CEO
Captive Planning Associates, LLC
- What is a captive?
- What types are there? What are the distinguishing features?
- Single-Parent Captive
- Risk Retention Group
- Protected Cell Captives or Cell Captives
- With the number of states enacting laws that will allow for captive formation continually increasing, are there ways to avoid confusion by those interested in setting up a captive or re-domesticating?
- What are some of the points to consider when thinking about setting up a captive in an established domicile as opposed to a new domicile?
- Why form one and what are the benefits? When is it a good idea to think about a captive as opposed to traditional insurance?
- Best practices with respect to implementation and operation of a captive