The Year in Review – What Recent Cases Reveal about Future False Claims Act Litigation
What is it about?
- Increased focus on reverse false claims (U.S ex rel Kane v. Healthfirst)
- Application of implied certification theory (United States ex rel. Badr v. Triple Canopy, Inc.; U.S. Ex rel Nelson v. Sanford- Brown, Ltd.)
- Narrow application of the first-to-file bar (KBR v. U.S. ex rel. Carter)
- Narrow reading of public disclosure bar (U.S. ex rel. Whipple v. Chattanooga-Hamilton Cnty. Hosp. Auth.)
- Aggressive application of damages and penalties (U.S. ex rel. Harman v. Trinity Industries Inc.; U.S. ex rel. Drakeford v. Tuomey)