LOOKING AHEAD: Legislative Reform Post-Election
This closing panel will focus on the status and impact of the drive to expand the powers of the Department of Justice to impose civil fines, and limit the applicability of certain exemptions.The discussion will include a practical analysis of pending Bills, including those giving the DOJ authority to issue administrative subpoenas and more. Topics of discussion will include:
- What are the hurdles to reforming FARA?
- What exactly has been proposed and how it expands the panoply of risk?
- What is the anticipated impact of those proposals on the enforcement of the current law?
- Which reforms can DOJ implement on its own vs. Congress?
- Additional items to keep in mind when building FARA into compliance program