Understanding the Requirements for Importing Food into the U.S.
Foods imported into the U.S. must meet the same requirements as foods produced domestically. Because U.S. regulatory agencies cannot inspect foreign facilities at the same rate as domestic facilities, the oversight tools differ. This session will help you understand what it takes to legally import food into the country, including:
- Overview of laws and regulations relative to food imports in the U.S.
- Understanding how the FDA USDA and other US regulatory bodies ensure compliance with U.S. law
- Analyzing the requirements of the Final FSVP Rule, including issues covered in FDA’s January 11, 2023 final FSVP guidance document such as:
- The definitions of “FSVP importer” and “foreign supplier”
- FDA’s enforcement discretion policies;
- Requirements regarding hazard analysis and supplier verification activities;
- FSVP documentation and audit procedures;
- Consequences for non-compliance
- Hearing about other FSMA import programs
- Learning about the import process at the border