Be in the Room Where it Happens: Knowing how to Effectively and Successfully Communicate with the IP Due Diligence Team
What is it about?
Here is your chance to be a part of the “dueling” deal teams as our team leaders walk you through a mock deal scenario providing best practices for fostering inter- and intra-team communications, and tailored solutions for overcoming top challenges faced by both acquirers and targets. Our teams will dive into all aspects of the diligence process including: preparation, valuation, ethical and privilege issues, as well as tying up necessary strings to
complete the IP due diligence phase of the deal process. Be prepared for this highly interactive think tank where everyone participates! Sample topics of discussion include:
- Getting the target’s “IP house” in order
- Performing an objective review of your portfolio to prepare for the acquirer’s questions while considering how closely to guard privileged information
- Timing and extent of flaw identification: what to do with known risks in your portfolio? When to identify them up front vs. waiting until the potential buyer asks?
- Evaluating what the other side is looking for, and drafting a plan to get there
- Disclosure: determining how much information to relay to the target about flaws when you still want the deal to proceed and understanding potential privilege considerations
- Assisting the business team with valuation of the patent(s)
- Identifying risk in a target IP portfolio and effectively conveying this
- information to the business development team
- Understanding best ways to submit data to the relevant team, e.g., IP attorney vs non-IP person