Evaluating COVID-19’s Impact on Biopharma Deal Making and Valuation of IP Assets
Associate General Counsel Intellectual Property
Eisai (Cambridge, MA)
Melanie R. Rupert
Paul Hastings (New York, NY)
The COVID-19 pandemic has given rise to new approaches to IP and innovation, however at the same time we have seen calls to ban patents on drugs, diagnostics and treatments out of concerns over profiteering. This panel will address how the latest COVID-19 developments are impacting considerations for IP due diligence. Topics of discussion include:
- Examining how the recent pandemic has affected biopharma deal-making and addressing what lasting implications we can expect to see in the longer term
- Understanding how COVID-19 has spurred new thinking about patent strategies and the evaluation of IP assets
- How has this year’s crisis forced patent owners to think differently about how they use their patents, and how is this impacting the evaluation and valuation of IP assets during a due diligence?
- How could IP evaluation be impacted by government mandated price controls, patent pools or compulsory licenses on COVID-19 related products?
- How should attorneys be counseling their clients in terms of navigating this unprecedented situation?