Workshop A – Patents Around the World Working Group: How to Execute a Cohesive International Patent Prosecution Strategy
What is it about?
(Registration begins at 8:00 – Continental Breakfast will be served)
In this session, leading patent practitioners will provide you with a comprehensive and in-depth global IP overview to assist you in protecting your IP and minimizing risk when filing patents internationally. Benefit from our session leaders in-depth analysis of patent laws around the world on a region-by-region basis.
Topics to be discussed include:
- Comparing and contrasting the standards of patentability and related issues in the US and Europe
- Patent eligibility
- Availability of patent extensions – PTEs and SPCs
- Compulsory licensing
- Bolar-type safe harbor provisions
- Plausibility and Enablement
- Inventive Step and Obviousness
- Procuring and enforcing life sciences patents worldwide on a cost-effective basis
- Timing and logistics of filing: When to file to maximize exclusivity and what are the expected costs?
- Determining the locations where it is most and least important to have patent protection in place
- Drafting applications that satisfy the requirements of different locations
- Coordinating between lawyers on the ground internationally and with your U.S. teams
- Spotlight on the EU
- How will Brexit impact Life Sciences companies
- How will the establishment of a Unified Patent Court impact life sciences IP strategies?
- How will the Court work?
- What actions should companies take now to prepare for implementation?
- EU Trade Secret Directive and its implementation in 2018 and 2019
- EU trend on subgroup patents
- What are the possibilities for an SPC for subgroup patents and new indications following the recent CJEU SPC decision in the Abraxis case?