Gifts, Travel & Entertainment: Shifting Sands in Terms of Regulation and Policy in Mexico
- Interpreting the GLAR’s explicit prohibition of gifts, travel, entertainment & hospitality versus AMLO’s program to combat corruption (“Ningún funcionario público podrá recibir regalos, cuyo valor exceda los 5 mil pesos”)
- Status update on enforcement of the policy
- How does the law apply to public versus private officials?
- Who determines what is a “reasonable” gift, entertainment or hospitality request? What guidelines can businesses use to adapt their corporate policies to the requirements of the law?
- How to identify who is involved in the authorization and approval of gifts, hospitality and other requests?
- Clarifying the policy’s scope of application: Trips to conduct investigations, marketing-related activities, etc.
- How to handle business interactions with both corporate entities and officials from high risk jurisdictions