Understanding the Controversy Around Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE) and Cooling – Debating the Pros & Cons
Jacob Diesselhorst, Esq.
Maples Nix & Diesselhorst, P.L.L.C. (Edmond, OK)
Pankaj K. Shere
Huff, Powell & Bailey, LLC (Atlanta, GA)
Max Wiznitzer, MD
UH Cleveland Medical Center (Cleveland, OH)
Beam Legal Team LLC (Chicago, IL)
- Determining whether children with mild HIE should be cooled
- Identifying what to do if a child who has received both HIE and cooling has had a normal MRI and later has developed differences
- Interpreting recent data from studied on HIE
- Developing best practices for determining when an injury occurred
- Determining which type of experts, you need to make your case: placental pathologists, pediatric neuro-radiologist, pediatric neurologist, geneticist, etc.?
- Addressing the challenge of proving that an injury occurred before labor
- Evaluating whether a utero infection can be a potential cause of injury