Complex Hypothetical Scenarios
Insights into the Present and Future of U.S.-China Trade Relations
Vice President, National Security Policy
National Foreign Trade Council
Eric C. Emerson
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
The U.S. China Business Council
The war in Ukraine and China’s East-Asia posturing have not only created great geopolitical uncertainty, but they have also exacerbated an already tense U.S.-China trade war. How will the combination of the war, China’s tense positions on Taiwan and Japan, and a continued ramping up of U.S. sanctions and export controls against China impact U.S./China trade relations, as well as the global supply chain over the long term?
- How is the war and China’s East-Asia power play impacting China’s trade relations with the U.S. and the world in general?
- Assessing the growing surge of U.S. regulatory enforcement activity around China sanctions and export controls due to the war and China’s East-Asia posturing
- Will China continue to respond with increased sanctions and export controls of its own?
- The Cyberspace Administration of China’s (“CAC”) cybersecurity review of US Micron: Should this be viewed as a retaliation against the US and its allies’ increasingly tight export controls targeting China’s semiconductor industry?
- How is this dynamic impacting global supply chains?