Managing Cross Border Technology and Data Transfers Under China CAC Requirements: Aligning Risk Mitigation for Export Controls, Licensing Requirements, and Data/IP Protection to Achieve Compliance and Maintain a Competitive Advantage
Assistant General Counsel, Export Compliance
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- How to define technology under the export control regulations
- When is technology abroad subject to U.S. jurisdiction?
- Exemptions to technology regulation: published technology, fundamental research, nonproprietary systems descriptions
- Technology licensing requirements
- What are the steps for determining whether export authorization is required?
- What are the types of authorizations available?
- Best practice methods and procedures to make the most of EAR and ITAR license exceptions
- The treatment of dual and third-country nationals at overseas facilities
- Protecting your technology
- How to negotiate IP licensing agreements and non-disclosure
- R&D scenarios and pitfalls
- Building a robust compliance program
- How to manage travel and hand-carried data exports
- Best practices for IT controls and network access rights